HOMEBREW Digest #1822 Mon 04 September 1995

Digest #1821 Digest #1823

	FORUM ON BEER, HOMEBREWING, AND RELATED ISSUES
		Rob Gardner, Digest Janitor

Contents:
  Blood Sugar/Yeast Washing/Protein Rests (A. J. deLange)
  Hop Plug Utilization? /Labels (dflagg)
  Refridge Defrost Timer (Domenick Venezia)
  Freezer controller with mercury switch thermostat (Ulick Stafford)
  Priming bottles (Brent Irvine)
  Beer labels: removing them & making them ("Keith Royster")
  hop back, gott fitting, motorize glatt mill, defrost (HOMEBRE973)
  Re:Advice on Bottle Labels (Nigel Townsend)

****************************************************************** * POLICY NOTE: Due to the incredible volume of bouncing mail, * I am going to have to start removing addresses from the list * that cause ongoing problems. In particular, if your mailbox * is full or your account over quota, and this results in bounced * mail, your address will be removed from the list after a few days. * * If you use a 'vacation' program, please be sure that it only * sends a automated reply to homebrew-request *once*. If I get * more than one, then I'll delete your address from the list. ****************************************************************** ################################################################# # # YET ANOTHER NEW FEDERAL REGULATION: if you are UNSUBSCRIBING from the # digest, please make sure you send your request to the same service # provider that you sent your subscription request!!! I am now receiving # many unsubscribe requests that do not match any address on my mailing # list, and effective immediately I will be silently deleting such # requests. # ################################################################# NOTE NEW HOMEBREW ADDRESS hpfcmgw! Send articles for __publication_only__ to homebrew at hpfcmgw.fc.hp.com (Articles are published in the order they are received.) Send UNSUBSCRIBE and all other requests, ie, address change, etc., to homebrew-request@ hpfcmgw.fc.hp.com, BUT PLEASE NOTE that if you subscribed via the BITNET listserver (BEER-L at UA1VM.UA.EDU), then you MUST unsubscribe the same way! If your account is being deleted, please be courteous and unsubscribe first. Please don't send me requests for back issues - you will be silently ignored. For "Cat's Meow" information, send mail to lutzen at alpha.rollanet.org ARCHIVES: An archive of previous issues of this digest, as well as other beer related information can be accessed via anonymous ftp at ftp.stanford.edu. Use ftp to log in as anonymous and give your full e-mail address as the password, look under the directory /pub/clubs/homebrew/beer directory. AFS users can find it under /afs/ir.stanford.edu/ftp/pub/clubs/homebrew/beer. If you do not have ftp capability you may access the files via e-mail using the ftpmail service at gatekeeper.dec.com. For information about this service, send an e-mail message to ftpmail at gatekeeper.dec.com with the word "help" (without the quotes) in the body of the message.
---------------------------------------------------------------------- Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 10:33:43 -0500 From: ajdel at interramp.com (A. J. deLange) Subject: Blood Sugar/Yeast Washing/Protein Rests Michael Swan wrote about a Dallas lawyer who got his client off on a DWI charge by convincing the jury that wild yeast had fermented the sugar in his blood sample. PLEASE POST THE NAME AND PHONE NUMBER OF THIS LAWYER! Seriously, though, unless the guy was a diabetic his blood glucose should have been around 100mg/dl or, in our terms 0.1P. Assuming that 10 P wort gives about 5% ABV this "wort" would give about one one hudredth of that or .05% ABV. The defendent was reported at five times this level. Looked at another way, 1 gram of sugar yields about half a gram of alcohol so a normal person with 100 mg/dl blood sugar would wind up with 50 mg/dl blood alcohol if all the sugar were fermented which works out to .05% ABW or.06% ABV. Gentlemen of the jury, have you reached your verdict? John DeCarlo asked about yeast washing with carbonic acid, or more particularly with selzer tablets. The yeast have already been washed in carbonic acid. Fermenting beer is saturated with CO2. This will not give the desired effect, however, since the pH of fermenting beer is typically in the 4.5 - 5 range (certain styles fall outside this range) and for yeast washing a pH of around 2 is desired. Saturating water with CO2 at atmospheric pressure will result in a pH of no lower than 4 since not enough CO2 can dissolve to get it lower than that. Raising the pressure will lower the pH somewhat but it would obviously be impractical to carry out the wash under pressure. I believe selzer tablets contain sodium bicarbonate and a salt of tartaric or citric acid. They are actually designed to neutralize acidity in the stomach and thus tend to buffer at a higher pH. Phosphoric, citric, tartaric and sulfuric acids seem to be the most popular for yeast washing. Sam Pottle asked about protein rests. 50C is often stated as a best compromise for a single rest with 55 being an upper limit. There are at least two enzymes involved: proteinase which works best between 40 and 60 C and peptidase which is at its best at the lower range 45-50C. Thus the lower temperature favors the action of peptidase with improved amino acid production whereas the higher temperatures favor breakdown of larger proteins. The only reason I can think of to avoid a protein rest in a highly modified malt would be that the malt already has much of its protein in the molecular weight range which is suitable for good head formation. The rest would bring about further lysis with the result that there would be a surfeit of the low molecular weight proteins and a dearth of the high with resulting poor head formation and retention. A.J. deLange Numquam in dubio, saepe in errore! ajdel at interramp.com Return to table of contents